Re: System call support in reversible debugging

Sean Chen wrote:

Hi Michael and Hui,

I am sorry for my late response.

Thanks for your explanation. So we can’t treat the system calls as a
black box and have to understand the detailed implementation of each
system call.

Not a black box -- but not a detailed implementation either. Each system call has a specification -- that's all we need to understand. The specification tells what user-visible external side effects can be expected (eg. this buffer will be filled). Changes that are internal to the kernel do not concern us.

I think we need to understand every lines of the code in
the system calls carefully enough, and care about the difference of
the Linux kernel since the code of system calls might change
frequently. Do we have any good ways to do it?

Sean, this stuff is already implemented and working. Why don't you have a look at the existing code in linux-record.c? It sounds like you're more than qualified to understand it. If you find something that's not working correctly, please let us know! ;-)