Re: System call support in reversible debugging

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 1:16 AM, Jakob Engblom <jakob@virtutech.com> wrote:

>> > To really do this right, you should use a full-system simulator that lets
> you
>> > debug OS and user code at the same time, as it is attacking the system at
> the
>> > hardware/software interface level.
>>
>> It all depends what you want to do.
>>
>> If you want to debug kernel code, then absolutely you need a full system
>> approach, such as Simics or VMware offers. ?Similarly if you want to
>> debug the whole host. ?But if you're debugging just a process (i.e. the
>> classic use-case of gdb), you may not want to wind back the state of the
>> entire (virtual) machine. ?In which case, something like UndoDB or prec
>> is more appropriate.
>>
>> I don't claim either approach is superior. ?It's a bit like native
>> debugging versus remote debugging. ?Which one makes most sense all
>> depends on what it is you're trying to debug.
>
> Couldn't agree more. ?The full-system approach is a bit more gnarly, but it
> gives you more insight. ?It depends on the problem.
>
> /jakob

Hi Jakob and Greg,

You are both right. These two solutions focus on different problems.
If you want to debug a user space process and don’t care what’s going
on in the system call at all, Michael’s solution is OK. If you want to
look more closely into the kernel, a full-system simulator is
absolutely the best one.

--
Best Regards,
Sean Chen