Re: python config question

On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 05:50:39 +0100, Joel Brobecker wrote:
> > Maybe the configure option should include rpath?
>
> It could.  We're touching at something that is very platform-dependent,
> though - perhaps you want to look at using libtool (although I'll admit
> to a severe aversion to this tool, probably unjustified). If I were in
> your position, I might consider linking statically against libpython.
> At AdaCore, the plan is to use LD_LIBRARY_PATH, which we'll have to do,
> since customers are free to install the binary package wherever they
> want (hence preventing rpath from working).

IIUC you ship libpython*.so.* libraries bundled with the shipped gdb.
Isn't ld.so's $ORIGIN useful?

$ORIGIN and rpath
	ld.so understands the string $ORIGIN (or equivalently ${ORIGIN}) in an
	rpath specification (DT_RPATH or DT_RUNPATH) to mean the directory
	containing the application executable.  Thus, an application located
	in somedir/app could be compiled with gcc -Wl,-rpath,'$ORIGIN/../lib'
	so that it finds an associated shared library in somedir/lib no matter
	where somedir is located in the directory hierarchy.  This facilitates
	the creation of "turn-key" applications that do not need to be
	installed into special directories, but can instead be unpacked into
	any directory and still find their own shared libraries.

Regards,
Jan