How can I build Insigh/GDB so that it is statically linked with the itcl packages ?

Hi,

I am trying to build a usable Insight/GDB (from the gdb_7_1-branch)
using the in-tree Tcl, Tk and Itcl packages with the --disable-shared
option. Everything is built correctly, i.e. the Tcl, Tk and Itcl
libraries are all built as static libraries. Unfortunately GDB is no
longer (since Insight/GDB 6.8 :-( ) linked with the itcl libraries and
instead it is assuming that they are dynamic and are loaded at run-time.
This, of cause, fails since the libraries are static:

Error: couldn't load file "<root>/lib/itcl3.3/libitcl3.3.a":
<root>/lib/itcl3.3/libitcl3.3.a: invalid ELF header

Is there a patch available which allows me to build Insight/GDB and its
libraries fully statically (I could not find one) ?

If not, would it be possible for me to re-instate this capability in GDB
by reverting some (or all) of the patches applied below:

  http://sourceware.org/ml/gdb-patches/2008-07/msg00454.html

resulting from these changes:

  http://sources.redhat.com/ml/insight/2008-q3/msg00010.html
  http://sources.redhat.com/ml/insight/2008-q3/msg00018.html