Re: Pascal symbols and case sensitivity

On Mon, 2010-04-19 at 10:33 -0400, Joel Brobecker wrote:
> > Is there anything against it to make the symbol-lookup really
> > case-insensitive? That could by example be done by converting the symbol
> > name in symbol_search_name (symtab.c) to lowercase when the
> > case_sensitivity setting is off.
>
> I think you have to be a little careful of not converting some of the
> symbols were the "linkage name" is specifically specified. I don't know
> if this is something that's actually possible with Pascal, but it is
> something that Ada users sometimes do (Ada is also language insensitive).

That explains why there is an exception for Ada in symbol_search_name.

> Perhaps one possible suggestion is to adjust the pascal routines associated
> to symbol lookup to DTRT. I have barely looked at the pascal support and
> it was a long time ago, but Pierre Muller, I believe, knows more about it.

Maybe that's possible, but in that case Pierre would have done that
already, I think.

Besides that I think it would be a good idea to fix the
case_insensitivity language setting for all languages, so that it's not
necessary to add it for each language that needs it?

How is it done for Ada? Does Ada use the case_sensitivity language
setting?

Regards,

Joost van der Sluis