Re: [RFC] corelow and multi-arch : Move deprecated_add_core_fns to set_gdbarch_regset_from_core_section

Hui Zhu wrote:

> This error because sniff_core_bfd return cris_elf_core_fns.   So GDB
> use cris_elf_core_fns.fetch_core_registers to analyze this mips core.
> It return cris_elf_core_fns because core_sniffer of cris_elf_core_fns
> and mips-linux-tdep.c:regset_core_fns is default_core_sniffer.
> So I think this is not fit with the multi-arch.

Yes, this is broken.  -tdep files should never use deprecated_add_core_fns
(in fact, *nobody* should use deprecated_add_core_fns, that's why it's
deprecated :-/).

> Do you think we can begin move  deprecated_add_core_fns to
> set_gdbarch_regset_from_core_section?

What do you mean, "move"?   The fix for problem is for someone who
understands the relevant core file formats (and has access to a
system they can test on) to implement gdbarch_regset_from_core_section
for cris and/or mips, and then just remove deprecated_add_core_fns
from those -tdep files.

> BTW, core_vec->core_read_registers have a argument "which" that
> gdbarch_regset_from_core_section doesn't have.  Do you think we can
> add one to it?

No, gdbarch_regset_from_core_section instead gets the "name" argument,
which is more general.

Bye,
Ulrich

--
  Dr. Ulrich Weigand
  GNU Toolchain for Linux on System z and Cell BE