Re: generic query regarding GPL and licensing terms associated with gdb

* Robert Dewar wrote on Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 17:33 -0400:
> Steffen Dettmer wrote:
>
> >As I understood, one of the most essential key points of GPL is
> >exactly that it is not possible to licence code under terms of
> >GPL and redistribute any derived work without offering this
> >derived work also under the terms of the GPL.
> >So I think "take GPL code, modify it [...] and then distribute it
> >without giving a GPL license" simply is not allowed at all.
>
> But my point was that if you do this (and are thus in a
> position of potential copyright infringement), this act
> does not cause you to lose rights to your trade secrets
> or copyrighted code that may have been distributed at the
> same time.

Thank you for explaining. I think now I see the point.

I assumed that in such a case the source code /must/ be made
available, if the owner rejects that, court would enforce it, as
for example happend with LinkSys WRT.

But of course this was though to short. For example it could not
be that someone includes third-party code which ends up as GPL'd
sources because someone else put it into work derived from GPL'd
product. Also, the violator could buy a different licence from
the copyright holder (which might be given
alternatively/additionally to the GPL).

> If you are judged to have infringed, then you must cure
> the copyright infringement in the future. In the case of
> the GPL, one way you could do this *at your option* is
> to release all your code under the GPL, but you are never
> forced to do this.

Yes, thank you for the explanation.
(so in the example of LinkSys they released the code because the
alternative - not using a firmware on the routers - was no option).

oki,

Steffen

About Ingenico: Ingenico is a leading provider of payment solutions, with over 15 million terminals deployed in more than 125 countries. Its 2,850 employees worldwide support retailers, banks and service providers to optimize and secure their electronic payments solutions, develop their offer of services and increase their point of sales revenue. More information on http://www.ingenico.com/.
 This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the addressee or authorized to receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose or take any action based on this message or any information herein. If you have received this message in error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message. Thank you for your cooperation.