Re: multi-{inferior,exec}

Tom Tromey wrote:
Another use case would be putting a breakpoint on a particular function,
say from some kind of symbol view.  After some reflection, I think the
solution in this case lies in a linespec extension, not in I/T sets.  In
particular:

break [*] #libsomething.so#function

The '#' syntax is in the old spec actually, you even commented about it in http://sourceware.org/ml/gdb/2008-08/msg00177.html :-)

I also looked into another idea we discussed -- having a kind of meta-breakpoint for I/T sets that sets new concrete breakpoints when the appropriate events occur.

This means associating new metadata with a new kind of breakpoint and
coming up with a new command name. This seems like more work, for a
result that is not as nice to use.

What I've been doing for now for global breakpoints is to add the quasi-i/t set as another attribute of a breakpoint, a la thread or cond_string. This then is both interpreted by GDB, for processes that are currently under GDB's control, and passed to a kernel module that is monitoring all other processes for hits.

Stan