From: "Gruenhagen, Andreas" <andreas.gruenhagen@sap.com>
To: "gdb@sourceware.org" <gdb@sourceware.org>
Sent: Thu, November 4, 2010 7:10:21 PM
Subject: Detecting when gdb is attached

Dear gdb community,
I'm developing an application which cannot be started from within the gdb.
Therefore, I have the start the application and attach the gdb afterwards. In
some cases it would be nice to have the application wait in a spin loop until
the debugger is attached. Is there any way of accomplishing such a thing?

I certainly can program the spin loop myself, attach the debugger, and then
manually change a variable from within the debugger to end the loop. But,
obviously, this is not an elegant solution (lots of manual work, code has to be
changed and it has to be recompiled,and eventually, I might forget to delete the
spin loop after debugging).

I thought of having some sort of action which is executed when the gdb is
attached and detached, this could be for example used to switch a static flag in
the debugee.
Is something like this possible ?

Best regards
Andreas