Re: AW: GDB Server for Xilinx Microblaze

Hoefle Marco wrote:
Hi Michael, Thanks for your reply. Xilinx won't support officially any Linux related issues (I
used to work in the support center and Linux cases were the easy cases: sorry not supported)

So the Microblaze support in GDB 7.2 is for debugging standalone applications together with XMD
only or would it work together with a cross-compiled gdb server?

Embedded distributors like bluecat or petalogix have ported GDB for Linux on Microblaze but the
free old versions (at least from petalogix) had quite an old GDB + gdbserver which didn't work
properly (slow and crashes when embedding them in an eclipse environment)

Hi Marco --

As you already know, Xilinx maintains a separate repository
with the Linux versions of MicroBlaze gdb and other tools.
You can find info here:  http://xilinx.wikidot.com
These are older versions and have not been updated to the
current GNU versions.

The tools for MicroBlaze in the GNU tree only support standalone
embedded systems.  Gdb has only been tested with Xilinx's
JTAG connection to the target using XMD.

Support for Linux on MicroBlaze in the GNU tree is essentially
the same as in the older versions, which, as you have noted,
has not been ported to work with the current version of gdb &
gdbserver.  I don't have a suitable environment to run Linux on
MicroBlaze, so I cannot address any of these issues.

So do you have any hints for me how to proceed to get a new GDB + gdbserver up?

I understand that Xilinx is interested in upgrading the Linux tool chain to the same version in the GNU tree and presumably submitting any changes to FSF. I don't have any details on the when this might happen; the status on this has not changed in many months. Naturally, updating the GNU tree gdb and gdbserver to work on correctly on MicroBlaze Linux doesn't require Xilinx's involvement, the projects are open source. It does require a suitable environment and someone to do the port.

Sorry I can't be more help.

--
Michael Eager	 eager@eagercon.com
1960 Park Blvd., Palo Alto, CA 94306  650-325-8077