Re: [patch gdb]: Fix some DOS-path related issues in gdb

2011/3/3 Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>:
>> Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 13:50:40 +0100
>> From: Kai Tietz <ktietz70@googlemail.com>
>> Cc: gdb@sourceware.org
>>
>> hmm, I admit that it is pretty unlikely that *nix-nat parts are used
>> with DOS-style paths. Nevertheless on cross-compiling from windows to
>> *nix such paths can happen easily.
>
> How can this happen, even for cross compilation? ?Can you describe a
> use-case?

The debugging information (profiling, etc) are always using host's
file-names. So if you create a cross-compiler, the
file-name/path-information stored are always that one of the
host-system. Not of the target.
There is a need of having here some additional mapping features, but
this is for now not addressed by this patch.

For example, use a cross-compiler for windows-native on an unix-OS and
build an application with profiling and/or debugging. Then try to
debug/profile this app on a native windows host. You will notice that
filenames/paths are that one from the unix-OS and therefore are pretty
unusable on native Windows. (The other way around is of course the
same).

Kai