Re: Problem building GDB for sparc-rtems

On 05/20/2011 03:59 AM, David Paterson wrote:
On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 7:51 PM, Keith Seitz<keiths@redhat.com> wrote:
I want to thank Joe&  Ralf for jumping in here with additional expertise,
but here's another data point.

On 05/19/2011 07:09 AM, David Paterson wrote:
Apart from $PATH being a bit wonky, everything else looks good, so
I'll sort out the path and try again, then move to Linux if I'm having no
joy with that.
I have a mingw box with no Visual Studio or Cygwin installed on it. All I
did was:

$ mkdir sparc-rtems; cd sparc-rtems
$ CFLAGS="-ggdb -O0" ../gdb-7.2/configure --prefix=$HOME/built
--target=sparc-rtems --disable-sim
$ make all-gdb install-gdb

and this worked with both the 7.2 tarball and CVS HEAD. [There appear to be
build problems with the simulator on MinGW.]

This doesn't surprise me.  There is a long known issue that some
of the simulators depend on POSIX features which are not
available in MinGW.
FWIW:

$ echo $PATH
.:/usr/local/bin:/mingw/bin:/c/WINDOWS/system32:/c/WINDOWS:/c/WINDWOS/system32/Wbem:/c/mingw/emacs-23.3/bin
$ gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
COLLECT_GCC=C:\MinGW\bin\gcc.exe
COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=c:/mingw/bin/../libexec/gcc/mingw32/4.5.0/lto-wrapper.exe
Target: mingw32
Configured with: ../gcc-4.5.0/configure
--enable-languages=c,c++,ada,fortran,objc,obj-c++ --disable-sjlj-exceptions
--with-dwarf2 --enable-shared --enable-libgomp --disable-win32-registry
--enable-libstdcxx-debug --enable-version-specific-runtime-libs
--disable-werror --build=mingw32 --prefix=/mingw
Thread model: win32
gcc vesion 4.5.0 (GCC)

I didn't do anything fancy to setup MinGW (which I only use for occasional build testing of Insight); I just followed the instructions on the MinGW homepage.
Thanks Keith.  Based on what you said I had another look at the path, and
tried explicity resetting it to something similar to yours.

And guess what - GDB builds!! :-)

Looking at the old path, and doing a bit of googling, it seems that the entry
"nvinitdll" is causing the problem.  This is something to do with the nVidia
drivers on my machine, and I think it might disappear if reinstall or upgrade
the drivers.
Wow! That's one I had never heard of.
Anyway, now I know what's going wrong, and I can build my whole toolchain.
I guess I should also base it on the patched versions, rather than the "raw"
sources, to make sure it's fully compatible :-)

Thanks to everyone who helped sort this out - much appreciated :-)

I am glad it worked for you.
Cheers,

David P.

   Support Available             (256) 722-9985