Re: Question on ARM/Thumb-16 Disassembly

Jeffrey,

On 20/06/11 16:35, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
Hi All,

A couple of questions for ARM/Thumb-2. I'm working on a live iPhone,
so I'm using Apple's GAS.

It would be useful if you could give the command line you are using - as I can't give precise answers without that info. Most of the comments I make below are based upon the behaviour of the vanilla FSF tools, Apple may have changed their behaviours in ways I am unaware of.

I've got a function generated for Thumb-16 which performs a branch
(immediately after an ADD) based on Carry. For some reason, I'm
getting unexpected results after the ADD - the carry flag is always
high (ie, CY = 1 in CPSR), even when adding 0 + 0, 1 + 1, etc.

Under GDB, I perform a disassembly looking for something I might have
munged (or unexpected code generation and interactions). The first
thing I noticed is some instructions are 4 bytes despite being in
Thumb-16 mode (shown below). For example, the MOV at 0x00002334 is 4
bytes.

(1) Has anyone encountered a situation where a status flag gets
pinned? The ARM Instruction Reference states the status flags are
updated in Thumb mode (except when one or more high registers are
specified as operands).

There are two types of assembly language syntax in GAS for ARM:

1. 'divided' syntax - where add instruction has different semantics depending on whether you are in Thumb or ARM state.
2. 'unified' syntax - where the add instruction has the same semantics in ARM and Thumb state.

(Look for a .syntax directive in your assembly source).

My guess is that you have written something like the following in your assembly code:
add r0, r1, r2

Which would set the flags in Thumb-1 code when using divided syntax but does not when using unified syntax.

So the fix is to do the following instead:
   adds r0, r1, r2

[The additional 's' means set the flags].

(2) Are 4 byte instructions expected when GCC generates Thumb-16 code?
The ARM Instruction Reference seems to state otherwise.

GCC will generate code using all the features available in the instruction set for the CPU/architecture it is compiling for. Therefore if you are compiling for Cortex-A8 (say) and specify -mthumb on the command line it will use both 16-bit and 32-bit Thumb instructions (as they will be available). There is no way to tell GCC to compile for a CPU supporting Thumb-2 but restrict itself to just Thumb-1 instructions.

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Matt