Re: Undefined symbol while executing Python

> Thanks, that cured the problem (once I figured out where to insert
> it).  It turns out that, while there is a /usr/lib/libpython2.4, the
> gdb link is done against /usr/lib/python2.4/config/libpython2.4.a.
> I'm not sure why.  It's probably actually a good thing because that
> binary is being built for a group of people, some of whom have a
> different version of python installed.

It's been a while since I looked at this, but I do remember that
the Python team has decided that the default way of doing things
is to create the static lib, and to link against the static lib.

Things get a little fuzzier for me on how the Python binaries
are built for the various distros, as they all build Python
with the shared version available.  ISTR that some systems
have a shared libpython on the one hand, and then a python install
that was build with static python. As a result, python-config.py
would still think that python was statically linked and would
think that there is no shared libpython.

Anyways, I'm just rambling, and could be completely off the mark.

> Anyway, it would be good if gdb built correctly (i.e., with that
> switch) out of the box rather than requiring manual non-obvious
> hacking.

I can't remember why I never submitted this patch. But I remember
that some of the changes we made in-house at AdaCore were not
suitable for everyone, and thus were withdrawn.

I can look again at submitting this bit, if I can convince myself
(and others) that it doesn't have a potential negative impact, but
right now is not the best time for me :-(.

--
Joel