Re: sim: using automake

On Monday, July 11, 2011 12:38:13 Doug Evans wrote:
> > Mike> ive been bit by this multiple times, and it always seemed crazy to
> > Mike> me that we still do manual dependency management.  many of the
> > Mike> other sourceware projects have converted to automake and dropped
> > Mike> the hardcoded lists, so is there anything holding back the sim dir
> > Mike> other than someone doing it ?
> >
> > It seems like an improvement to me.
>
> "Well ..."
> I'd rather not make this transition without a bit more discussion.
> [I would prefer to avoid automake.]

much of the sourceware tree has converted.  seems the only major dirs not
using it are newlib/libgloss/gdb/sim.
$ ls `find -name Makefile.in | sed 's:[.]in:.am:g'`

not saying this means "gdb/sim must convert", just providing more context to
show that it's inevitable ! :)

> One question and one observation:
>
> Question: can automake handle dependencies on machine generated files?
> I think(!) the answer is "no", so automake doesn't solve all problems.

i'm not sure what you mean by machine generated files.  could you provide
specific examples ?

> Observation: gdb no longer manually describes dependencies (*1) yet it
> doesn't use automake.
>
> ---
> (*1): I realize it's more complicated than that, e.g. source files from
> subdirs.

just having dependency info in the current dir would be a vast improvement.
i'll poke the gdb system to see how it's doing it.
-mike