What role does gdb/remote.c play?

Hey, everyone.

Recently I am trying to port gdb for a remote target. I use remote-m32r-sdi as start point.
when I debug it, I find the global variable current_target has the value specified in remote.c,
furthermore I find the generated file init.c has both initialize_XXX() and _initialize_remote() ,
where XXX is the target I specified for my target.

So when I run command 'target remote localhost:[port]', it is remote_open() that handles the argument and etc.

Can someone explain what is wrong. Thank you.