Re: GIT and CVS

On Fri, 14 Oct 2011 01:50:49 +0200, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
>    I'm not debating that a unified source is useful, of course it is.
>    I personally build GDB on Fedora, and beyond what is in the tree,
>    there are many non-inclusive packages I have to find to build GDB.
>
> Do you have examples?  I don't install any strange dependencies most
> of the time...

To name those usually not present on the system:
flex bison expat-devel zlib-devel python-devel texinfo
for testsuite at least:
dejagnu gcc-gfortran gcc-java gcc-objc prelink fpc gcc-gnat glibc-static valgrind

> I'm just trying to understand how git replaces ChangeLog (which are
> the exact same thing as commit messages).  I suspect there is some
> grave misunderstanding in the discussion.

Yes, that's the point - I do not find ChangeLog entry a sufficient (or
relevant at all) replacement of the diff itself.  While looking for a bug
I cannot trust all the previous work had no mistakes.

Thanks,
Jan