Error while mapping shared library sections

I am debugging remotely and found that the performance of the link was quite
insufficient to use KDevelop - not unreasonable. So I am going back to using
GDB directly; this works when debugging locally but I am having problems
trying to debug remotely.

To start my debug session I first run a script containing the following :-

ruser=root@192.168.0.20
ssh ${ruser} 'gdbserver :2001 /home/programs/track'

This gives the expected listening on port 2001 message.  then I type the
following in another terminal window:-

gdb track --command debug/fsf_gdb_remote

The script fsf_gdb_remote contains the following:-

set args -s 3 -i 1 -w /home/john/programs/
target remote 192.168.0.20:2001

Here is the following conversation in gdb:-

(gdb) b main
Breakpoint 1 at 0x804febd: file /home/john/kas_master/trunk/src/main.cc,
line 117.
(gdb) c
Continuing.
Error while mapping shared library sections:
/lib/libfsfutils.so: No such file or directory.
Error while mapping shared library sections:
/lib/libstdc++.so.6: No such file or directory.
Error while mapping shared library sections:
/lib/tls/libm.so.6: No such file or directory.
Error while mapping shared library sections:
/lib/tls/libc.so.6: No such file or directory.
Error while mapping shared library sections:
/lib/tls/libdl.so.2: No such file or directory.
Error while mapping shared library sections:
/lib/libz.so.1: No such file or directory.
Error while mapping shared library sections:
/lib/libgmodule-2.0.so.0: No such file or directory.
Error while mapping shared library sections:
/lib/libpcre.so.3: No such file or directory.

Breakpoint 1, main (argc=1, argv=0xbfbd2994) at
/home/john/kas_master/trunk/src/main.cc:117
117         int la=-1;  //  Language
(gdb)

All the libraries are at the locations in the remote target as given in the
error messages so I don't
understand why this is happening.  I did read in several google located
accounts that this is fixed by
upgrading gdb to version 6.1; however I am using version 6.8 so it can't be
that.

Any ideas would be most gratefully accepted.