GDB on development board!

Hello All,

I am new to the GDB stuff. I am using my ARM based custom board in
that I wanted to debug my code on ARM. Can I do it without JTAG only
with GDB connected over serial port? Also is it possible to do it
without any OS running on board (I am in starting phase, so no OS
yet)? I read the user manual, but could not make out. Any pointer to
the material is a great help.

Regards,
Makarand