Problems with gdb on 64 bit systems

Hi all

On a 64 bit system, I am unable to read any core dump in gdb.    I
generated the core dumps in two ways: via null pointer derefernce in
program and via gdb attach and gcore.

In both the cases, I am unable to read the core files. Do you have any thoughts?

I tried with both gdb 7 and gdb 6.7.

For gdb 7, I tried two different  machines maintained by different
organizations to see what the issue may be.  Both are failing.

Thanks,
--sudhakar