Re: Binutils, GDB, GCC and Automake's 'cygnus' option

On Wed, 28 Mar 2012, Stefano Lattarini wrote:

>   - texinfo.tex is not required if a Texinfo source file is specified. The
>     assumption is that the file will be supplied, but in a place that
>     Automake cannot find. This assumption is an artifact of how Cygnus
>     packages are typically bundled.

texinfo.tex is in a known location, but only a single copy for GDB and
binutils and a single copy for GCC rather than in each directory needing
it.  Is the approach used (for example) in libquadmath/Makefile.am

TEXINFO_TEX   = ../gcc/doc/include/texinfo.tex

considered a suitable approach for this case?

>   - Certain tools will be searched for in the build tree as well as in the
>     user's PATH. These tools are runtest, expect, makeinfo and texi2dvi.

I did previously suggest removing the existing support for building and
using these tools in-tree
<http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-patches/2011-03/msg01674.html>, but there was
pushback on that.  I don't know, however, if it actually depends on
anything built into automake.

>   - The check target doesn't depend on all.

I'm not aware of a need for that.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com