Re: bug#11034: Binutils, GDB, GCC and Automake's 'cygnus' option

Quoting Stefano Lattarini <stefano.lattarini@gmail.com>:

By looking at the 'handle_texinfo_helper' function in the automake script,
I suspect adding a new Automake option 'info-in-builddir' (say) and an
handful of lines to the automake script might be enough to give you an easy
way to force the '.info' files to be generated in the builddir.  But before
doing so, I'd like to understand why you want so strongly to support such
a setup.

It is quite common during development / testing to build multiple configurations simultaneously from the same sources, with separate make processes. Writing to the source directory would cause disastrous race conditions.