GDB/MI and ">" prompts (was: Interactive behavior of GDB run from Emacs on Windows)

> Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 19:10:18 +0300
> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
> Cc: gdb@sourceware.org
>
> > Try the following, I think it might help:
> >
> >     (gdb) set interactive-mode on
>
> Thanks, it does.

With this knowhow in hand, my next question is about GDB/MI behavior
when it is connected to a tty device.  Typing

  -interpreter-exec console "commands"

from the console for some reason disables the ">" prompts for the
breakpoint commands.  If stdin is NOT a tty, those prompts _are_
output.  Why the difference?

Were this makes difference is in Emacs, which now uses MI to interact
with GDB, but it also supports the command-line interface, by taking
the commands typed by the user and wrapping them in "-interpreter-exec".
But the lack of the ">" prompts makes the user experience worse, so
I'm asking why is GDB behaving like that.

TIA