Re: feature request: set step-mode smart

Sergio Durigan Junior wrote on Wed, 25 Apr 2012:

On Saturday, April 21 2012, Ilya Basin wrote:

I think, gdb should try to stepi a fixed number of instructions (~100)
searching for a code line and if not found, step out.

Thanks for the message. Could you please also create an entry in the GDB Bugzilla as well? The link is http://sourceware.org/bugzilla/

This is not a guarantee that someone will actually implement this
request, but at least we can keep a record of such things.

I'd definitely immediately add a "me too". Our compiler also generates dispatch stubs without debug info in a number of cases, and adding code to gdb to recognize all possible variations on all architectures we support (about 8 by now, I think) is not something anyone has felt up to figuring out yet. In the long term, it also does not seem tenable to add pattern recognition to gdb for stubs generated by all possible compilers (and possibly different versions of those compilers).

Jonas