Re: .gdbini file

On Sat, Aug 11, 2012 at 1:40 AM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>> Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2012 15:30:23 +0800
>> From: Smith John <horserivers@gmail.com>
>>
>>           I am debugging  gdb  with  itself ,  how can I use  the
>> gdbinit  file  in the  gdb  source directory?
>
> Either type the "source /path/to/.gdbinit" command at the GDB prompt,
> or start GDB from the directory of that file, so that it is loaded
> automatically.
>
>> or what role does this file play on ?
>
> It defines several defaults and commands useful for debugging GDB.
> It's a text file, so you can read it and see what it does.

Remember that .gdbinit is gone, in favor of gdb-gdb.gdb [there's a
reason it's spelled that way :-)]
And there should be no need to manually load it, that should happen
automatically (except when debugging a newer gdb with an older gdb).

For reference sake,
- gdb-gdb.gdb is installed in the build tree from gdb-gdb.gdb.in in
the source tree
- there is also gdb-gdb.py, which provides additional Python based
support for debugging gdb with gdb.