Re: Option to disable frame checking

On Mon, 01 Oct 2012 20:38:54 +0200, Joshua Watt wrote:
> I'm not sure how that would be accomplished. AFAIK, there isn't any sort of
> information in the DWARF debugging format that could be used to (definitively)
> indicate the thread has jumped stacks, so I think it would have to be determined
> by something external to the code being debugged. I think that such a heuristic
> approach could be difficult to get correct in all cases,

In such case the "alternate stack" feature is insufficiently designed and it
should be extended for its debuggability.  Debuggability is a normal
associated part of any new ABI feature.

> hence the idea of making it a user configurable option.

Every user configurable option is just a last resort workaround.  In the best
world there would be no configuration options, ever.

> I won't claim to be an expert in the DWARF debugging format though,

It does not always have to be in DWARF.  For example the gcc -fsplit-stack did
not need any DWARF extensions (it was enough to verify specific ELF symbol).
	http://sourceware.org/git/?p=gdb.git;a=commitdiff;h=457da755a718113dcbc339f7823af0d439fa62c7

Thanks,
Jan