Re: Will therefore GDB utilize C++ or not?

On Tue, 04 Dec 2012 15:44:16 +0100, Mark Kettenis wrote:
> > Is it enough plan to justify the -Wc++-compat compatibility step?
> > That is to update and check-in archer-ratmice-compile-Wc++-compat.
>
> Not without proper review of the changes.  And since my position on
> C++ has changed, I'd not really eager to do that.  But if -Wc++-compat
> would make you happy, and stop pushing for switching GDB to C++,

No matter whether C++ will happen or not -Wc++-compat is already useful
(for the 64-bit offsets upstreaming).  This is why I ask for it on its own.

While -Wc++-compat enables fixing the 64-bit offsets in GDB it is only like
1% (random guess) of GDB bugs fixes C++ enables us to do.  So the decision of
-Wc++-compat is orthogonal to the C++ decision.

> I'd be willing to spend some time to help.

There is hopefully not much help needed, Matt Rice was offering to update
archer-ratmice-compile-Wc++-compat, and I think one can safely verify the
patch is valid (besides some eyes review) also by comparing byte-by-byte the
compiled stripped binaries.

Thanks,
Jan