Re: [Discussion] add a build option for test to gdbserver

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 1:28 AM, Doug Evans <dje@google.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 8:40 AM, Hui Zhu <teawater@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> There are more and more function add to the target remote to support
>> different gdbstub.
>> Some of them can add a this function to gdbserver.  Then the testsuite
>> for it can just test with gdbserver.  For example: tracepoint.
>>
>> But some function is hard to achieve or not very useful for gdbsever.
>> I just work on some patches just have this function for example: TD
>> breakpoint.  TA.
>> So I suggest what about add a build option for test to gdbserver? this
>> option just for test.
>> It maybe just send some fake package back to GDB remote or something.
>> Then we can easier write test for this remote patches.
>
> Hi.  I think you need to elaborate.
>
> Setting aside unittests that can test individual pieces of gdb/gdbserver,
> something has to talk to gdbserver in order to test it,
> and there is testsuite/gdb.server for gdbserver specific tests.

Hi Doug,

Thanks for your remind.

I think I should talk it clear in the title.  I think it should be
"Add a build option that test remote target to gdbserver".
What about it?

And there is some thought of me:
To test remote target, we add them to gdbserver and use a build option
control.  And when we build gdbserver, we can build 2 gdbserver.
One is just to use, and named it as "gdbserver".
Others is just for test, and named it as "gdbservertest".

Thanks,
Hui