RE: gdb bug or corrupt dwarf info?

Tom, thanks for your quick answer.  This type of debug info indeed seems to depend on the gcc version. I tried a gcc 4.7.2 and the debug info looks all nice and clean.

Unfortunately, my target environment is a RedHat 5.8 with a gcc 4.1.2. and upgrading the gcc is not an option. All I can touch is the gdb.

So I developed a patch, applying the following reasoning:
- The bug is that a child lexical scope is erroneously output as the successor sibling of the parent
- if lexical block scope A is a real sibling of lexical block scope B, the address range of A will not be a subrange of B, nor vice versa.
- So I can detect a bogus child by looking at the successor sibling. If the successor sibling's address range is a subrange of the predecessor sibling, I treat it as a child.

I added the following code to read_lexical_block_scope(), right behind the processing of the children. In case the test is positive, I "repair" the affected die_info's:

  struct die_info *sibling = sibling_die(die);
  if (sibling && (sibling->tag == DW_TAG_lexical_block))
    {
      CORE_ADDR sibling_lowpc, sibling_highpc;
      if (dwarf2_get_pc_bounds(sibling, &sibling_lowpc, &sibling_highpc, cu, NULL ))
        {
          sibling_lowpc += baseaddr;
          sibling_highpc += baseaddr;
          if (lowpc <= sibling_lowpc && sibling_highpc <= highpc)
            {
              die->sibling = sibling->sibling;
              sibling->sibling = NULL;
              sibling->parent = die;

              if (die->child)
                {
                  struct die_info *child;
                  for (child = die->child; sibling_die(child); child = sibling_die(child))
                    {
                    }
                  child->sibling = sibling;
                }
              else
                {
                  die->child = sibling;
                }

              process_die(sibling, cu);
            }
        }
    }

First tests seem promising, so is there any reason I shouldn't do this?

Jens.