Re: GDB fast tracepoint query

Hi,

On 04/29/2013 09:27 PM, Suchakrapani Datt Sharma wrote:
Hi,

I am trying to do some performance analysis of various dynamic
instrumentation/tracing tools. I started with simple overhead analysis of my
'dummy' test program when traced with fast tracepoints using gdb. If I do not
provide 'actions' after setting a tracepoint, will gdb still pass through the
tracepoint and induce some overhead or its just the same as *not* setting the
fast tracepoint and running a clean test? Is the first instruction at the
tracepoint on foo() modified immediately upon setting the tracepoint using
'ftrace foo'?

AFAIU, the fast tracepoint jump pad will always be there if a trace experiment is running (with at least one active fast tracepoint set), which means GDB will take the path through the fast tracepoint's jump pad, save whatever needs to be saved, execute actions and then exit through the jump pad again. So there should be some small overhead there even if no actions are actually executed.

As for the time when the instruction is modified, it is during the trace experiment startup, during "tstart". "ftrace" or "trace" will just register the tracepoint internally inside gdb.

Luis