Re: C99

On 07/17/2013 05:22 AM, Mark Kettenis wrote:
Perhaps it is time to move on and start requiring a C99 compiler for GDB.
But "//" comments are offensive to real C programmers!;)

Seriously though.  This points out that such a switch has some
consequences for our coding standards.  We have a fairly consistent
coding style in GDB, which makes it easy for people to move around in
the codebase without getting distracted by the "looks" of the code.  I
think it's worth some effort to keep it that way.  And allowing "//"
comments isn't going to help.  I'd vote for not using them at all.

+1. Probably we can move to C99 now. Personally, I prefer "/* */" to "//" in the comments.

However, a more important C99 "misfeature" that affects the coding
standard is the possibility to declare varaibles anywhere in the code.
We should not allow this, except for declaring loop variables in a
for() statement.

I agree.

--
Yao (éå)