Re: GDB question

>>>>> "Hendrik" == Hendrik Greving <hendrik.greving.intel@gmail.com> writes:

Hendrik> Our (old-) GDB can't read linked executables
Hendrik> due to DW_FORM_strp offset issues.

It's best to post the exact error message.

Hendrik> a) is there any way to make an old GDB work with DWARF2 generated by a
Hendrik> new GCC (own backend, but forced to DWARF2). My understanding was that
Hendrik> as long as we force DWARF2, this should work. It looks like that there
Hendrik> are e.g. issues with indirect string offsets as described above, is
Hendrik> this something one can solve or are there old DWARF2 and new DWARF2
Hendrik> versions that are completely incompatible?

You don't mention how you force this or what version of GCC you are using.
Make sure you use -gstrict-dwarf, assuming your version has this.

I don't recall a particular bug fix with DW_FORM_strp; but you can
search the logs.

Hendrik> b) does GDB abort reading the symbol table completely when
Hendrik> encountering an error? I am wondering why there is no symbol table
Hendrik> loaded at all (No symbol table is loaded.  Use the "file" command.)

Yeah, it pretty much does.  And I think in earlier versions it went even
further and dropped the whole objfile.

Tom