Running without Python

I had a naive hope that if I built my own GDB (7.6) with Python support,
then I needed to copy it to another system to do some debugging (because
my code is compiled with GCC 4.8.1 and the other system doesn't have a
new-enough GDB to debug the new object file format) where that other
system didn't have an appropriate Python, that my GDB would still work.

Like, GDB would try to dlopen() the Python library, discover it wasn't
available, shrug, and continue on letting me debug using "classic"
commands with just some minor grumbling.

But, it pretty much just stops:

  $ my-gdb
  Could not find platform independent libraries <prefix>
  Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>
  Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]
  ImportError: No module named site
  $

Any thoughts about this?  I guess I need to build GDB twice, once with
Python for those systems that can use it and once without for those
systems that don't have it.  Is there any interest in making this work
"better"?

Cheers!