Re: [C++] System Requirements

> Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2013 09:04:09 -0800
> From: Ben Longbons <brlongbons@gmail.com>
> Cc: gdb@sourceware.org
>
> Personally, I don't get why people who are using long-term "stable"
> releases expect to be able to use the latest and greatest version of
> anything. If you only need to *use* gdb, you can just stick to older
> versions (including 7.7) which are still fully-featured releases.

Perhaps you never tried to use outdated versions of GDB too seriously
for too long.  GDB constantly gets more and more useful features and
solves more and more bugs, so using an old version is a PITA.  It's
not like GDB development aims only at supporting newer compiler
versions, you know.  Just look at the commit logs, and you will see.

> But you're saying you're using RHEL5 for your *development* ? I'm not
> used to developers who can even stand not using the latest release.

Get used to that.  Not every developer can determine for herself what
releases she will have installed.  Life intervenes.

> Regardless of where we set the bounds, do you agree to the *concept*
> of having two different modes?

I don't.  There's no reason to have that, and it certainly adds to the
overhead.