Date: 24 May 1999 21:22:42 -0700
From: Ulrich Drepper <drepper@cygnus.com>
To: GNU libc testers <libc-alpha@sourceware.cygnus.com>,
        VGER gcc list <linux-gcc@vger.rutgers.edu>
Subject: glibc 2.1.1

Hi,

I've made glibc 2.1.1 available at

	ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/glibc
	ftp://sourceware.cygnus.com/pub/glibc
	ftp://ftp.XX.kernel.org/pub/software/libs/glibc

(where XX is your country code).  The new files are

	glibc-2.1.1.tar.gz
	glibc-2.1-2.1.1.diff.gz
	glibc-2.1.1pre3-2.1.1.diff.gz		(not on ftp.gnu.org)
	glibc-linuxthreads-2.1.1.tar.gz

There is *no* new crypt add-on.  I hope the site containing the crypt
add-on packages will soon have an appropriate symlink.  For the time
being please simply use/download the 2.1 version of the add-on.

glibc 2.1.1 is a bug fix and maintenance release.  No significant new
features were added and the few problems reported are either fixed or
documented.  I consider glibc 2.1.1 very stable.

The main improvements from 2.1 beside bug fixes are:

-   lots of speedups (especially in the dynamic linker)

-   lots of SPARC and Linux/SPARC improvements

-   RPC/XDR cleanups

-   updates of many character set conversion functions

-   several memory leaks are fixed

I'd like to thank (in no specific order) Andreas Schwab, Roland
McGrath, Andreas Jaeger, Jakub Jelinek, Thorsten Kukuk, Richard
Henderson, Zack Weinberg, Wolfram Gloger, Xavier Leroy, H.J. Lu, Mark
Kettenis, Philip Blundell, and David Miller for their constant
help and support.

Consider showing them your appreciation when you meet them the next
time.

A few more words to those who actually want to compile everything
themselves:

-   do you really have to?  It's not easy and the tools must really work.
  We don't have the time to lead people through the process.

-   did you remember using the -E option for patch?

-   when something goes wrong, use a different compiler and or binutils.
  Chances are very good meanwhile that something is wrong at your side.

-   did you read the FAQ?

-  -
-  --------------.      drepper at gnu.org  ,-.   1325 Chesapeake Terrace

End of forwardamAaap Digest