Upgrading glibc and egcs at the same time

Hello.

This might very well be a FAQ, but if it is - it has been added recently.
Last time I checked - it wasn't. The story I unfold below is based on
experienced dating a few months ago - I had no time playing with these
things lately.

Here goes. Currently, I have a gcc 2.7.2.3, libc 5.4.44 system (kernel
2.2.10). Origins don't matter (an ancient Slackware, a few years old,
upgraded manually over the years).

I wish to add egcs (or however it is called now, after the announcement that
it is going to be made the next gcc) and glibc2 to this system, preferably
in a manner that would allow me to keep using the currently installed
libraries for existing and new binaries.

Compiling glibc using gcc isn't a problem, and all goes well. Compiling egcs
with libc5 isn't a problem, and all goes well. However, compiling egcs with
glibc2 is something that I couldn't master... The reason for the trouble is
that I didn't install glibc2 in the 'usual' place (/usr/lib), so when
compiling egcs - the first stage works fine (it is done using the older gcc,
which is, for this purpose, configured to use the new libraries)
but the following stages revert back to the old libraries and things break
(because the second stage is compiled using the recently compiled egcs,
which isn't properly configured to use the new libraries). By the way, the
egcs version involved is 1.1.1, and the glibc version involved is 2.1. By
now, there might be newer versions, and I'd be happy to use them instead.

What I should probably do is install glibc2 in /usr/lib, and if I find no
other way - I'd probably do that. Before I go that route, I want to
know if there is some magic cure that would help me, though. This is
probably just as egcs related as glibc2 related, but at the moment I'm only
subscribed to this mailing list, so I only bother you.

Any hints?

(I must admit that compiling all of these things on a 486 with 16mb of RAM
is no great thrill. It is amusing, though, and I oppose installing these
from a binary distribution - what's the point of having the sources
if I can't use them in case something breaks?).

                                                   Nimrod