glibc compiling

Okay, maybe I missed the emails on this when glibc2.1.2 came out . . .
what's going on when I get errors about libc.so.map and libc.map and
libc.so?  Unfortunately, I ran 'make' before I took the time to read the
FAQ, so I think I may have damaged some of my system.  Fortunately, it's a
nearly-clean install of RedHat 6.0, so I wouldn't be opposed to
reinstalling everything . . .  That just seems like a little too much work
when I have, or think I have most of the the files I need.  I'm running on
an i586.

Sorry to bring up a (possibly) old issue.  I wish I'd gotten on this list
sooner . . .

Joe.