Re: strip makes libs unusable

> "Jones, Clay" wrote:
>
> The reply I sent was specifically in reguards to whether stripping a shared
> lib would destroy it.  It was not about whether stripping was a smart thing to
> do.

I guess my .02 would be it has destroyed my shared libs before, and I won't
risk it again. That's probably all I should have said ;-)

> Myself, I give the person the benefit of the doubt and assume they know what
> they are doing.

I just presented another experience along with yours, I never said YOU didn't
know what you were doing, or that you didn't have good reason. I only presented
my experiences and my results from the scenario you gave.

> In my case, the stripped utils were going onto a compressed ramdisk on
> floppy.  Total realised decrease in space (on the gzipped disk image) was 85K
> and made it possible to include several other handy utilities on the disk.

Apologies...

My interpretation was
1) stripping shared libs is the greatest thing since sliced bread
2) save huge amounts of disk space

I didn't know the whole story, and I reacted to what I interpreted. I too have
created
ramdisk boot floppies in a similar fashion.