Re: Namespace pollution?

> SYSV/POSIX reserves the _uname name implicitly (the "underbar rule).
> This is why we have write() and _write(). uname() is supposed to be a
> weak binding and therefore be overwritten.
[...]
> check out:
> http://www.unix-systems.org/single_unix_specification_v2/xsh/compilation.html

Hmm. Looking at that page, I think I see what you refer to as
"underbar rule":

# 1. All identifiers that begin with an underscore and either an
# upper-case letter or another underscore are always reserved for any
# use by the implementation.

I don't think '_uname' is reserved under that rule.

Also, when you say "we have ... _write()", who are you referring to,
here? glibc uses __write/__libc_write (as _write is *not* reserved).

Please note that table 4. on this page reserves a number of additional
identifiers, such as "symlink", for external linkage.

I don't know why "uname" is not listed there; it is listed on

http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007908799/xsh/uname.html

Regards,
Martin