Upgrade strategy glibc-2.1/2/n

Hi,

I have some rather general question to the experts concerning upgrades
from one version of glibc to another:

1.) Is glibc-2.x with x>1 expected to be downward compatible with
  glibc-2.1?

2.) Why did you decide against introducing the major-number of a
  glibc-version into the name of the shared library
  (e.g. libc.so.6.1 instead of libc.so.6), as it has been done with
  the old linux-libc?

3.) Which method would you suggest to use software-packages in
  parallel, that have been dynamically linked against different
  versions of glibc? (We would like to be able to perform a 'package
  by package' upgrade over a longer period of time instead of beeing
  forced to recompile all packages at once.)

Regards and thank you in advance for your help,

Bernd

--
Bernd Rinn
Fakultaet fuer Physik

Tel. 07531/88-3812,
e-mail: Bernd.Rinn@uni-konstanz.de
PGP-Fingerprint: 1F AC 31 64 FF EF A9 67  6E 0D 4C 26 0B E7 ED 5C