Re: Upgrade strategy glibc-2.1/2/n

 > Hi,
 > I have some rather general question to the experts concerning upgrades
 > from one version of glibc to another:

 > 1.) Is glibc-2.x with x>1 expected to be downward compatible with
 >   glibc-2.1?

Yes - with one exception.  Read the libc-alpha
archives from september.  The archives can be accessed via
http://sourceware.cygnus.com/glibc.

 > 2.) Why did you decide against introducing the major-number of a
 >   glibc-version into the name of the shared library
 >   (e.g. libc.so.6.1 instead of libc.so.6), as it has been done with
 >   the old linux-libc?
You mean the minor number.  6 is the major, 1 is the minor.

 > 3.) Which method would you suggest to use software-packages in
 >   parallel, that have been dynamically linked against different
 >   versions of glibc? (We would like to be able to perform a 'package
 >   by package' upgrade over a longer period of time instead of beeing
 >   forced to recompile all packages at once.)
LD_LIBRARY_PATH and calling ld-linux.so directly as explained in the
FAQ.

You don't need to recompile everything at once.  Read the FAQ - and
recompile just the necessary libraries and the few binaries that will
break.

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger