Re: linux pthreads patch

On Fri, 17 Dec 1999, Charles Flynn wrote:

> I downloaded your patch, and the glibc-2.1.2 sources, patched the glibc
> sources and rebuilt glibc-2.1.2 from scratch as test library using the
> "Glibc 2 HOWTO".
>
> I re-ran our stress test and it was still running after 3 hours after
> which I stopped the test.
> I will run it  also over the weekend.

So, to be absolutely clear, you are saying that the patch helped? Or that the
crash happened without the patch?

> Our application is designed to be distributed and we normally test it on
> our production machines ( we have three ). The 3 hour test I ran was not
> on a production machine so I would like to re-run your patch on our
> production machines for at least 24 hours.

Okay that would be great for everyone. What you are doing is not only getting
your own software working, but you are helping the Linux community as well by
trying out patches and providing this feedback. Thank you very much.

I haven't been able to do sufficient stress-testing myself, just very basic
testing.

> I have a question which would aid this process greatly.
> What is the best way to install your patches without having to un-tar
> the sources on every target machine and build from scratch?

(Assuming you are talking about my patch and not some other one I don't know
about!) I also provide a gzipped static library (libpthread.a) on the same web
page.

Now that you have everything building, there is no point. If I update the
patch, all you have to do is copy the files into the linuxthreads directory and
rebuild linuxthreads only.

> Our application uses the shared libraries ( I can confirm this using ldd
> <app> )

Sorry, I haven't provided a shared lib. Just laziness on my part.

> I installed and built the patches as a test library using the "Glibc 2
> HOWTO" .
>
> Thanks for the patch

No prob. Xavier Leroy said he will be looking at it this weekend.

I just thought of one possible remaining issue that I will be looking into as
soon as I hit send on this e-mail, so there *may* be one more patch out on my
page sometime today.

One parting thought: even if the patch helped, it doesn't mean that it's
because it fixed the cause of the crash. It could simply be that the patch
perturbs the behavior of the library to mask some race condition leading to the
crash. Without knowing the exact cause of the crash, it would not be wise to
come to any hasty conclusions.

Cheers... Kaz