--target / --host /--build

Hi,
I'm curious why I'm having the following situation;
On two identical machines, I've tried compiling glibc.  The only
difference between them is that I replaced machine A's redhat 5.2 gcc
2.7.3 with gcc-2.95.2; thus machine A's /usr/bin/gcc is gcc-2.95.2.  On
machine B, I did not replace standard redhat distribution gcc-2.7.3; but
I've gcc-2.95.2 installed in /usr/local, and that's what I use by default.

So when I ran configure, on machine A, the configure failed saying that
config.guess could not determine my host/build/target type, while on
machine B, same glibc, same gcc version, the host, build and target types
were reported as i586-pc-linux-gnu.

Question is, why the difference in behaviour of configure?  Why is one
able to find the host/build/target type, and the other isn't?  And how can
I fix this, because now I've to specify host/build/target types on machine
A for any gnu or gnu-similar package I compile on it?

Thanks for ya help.

Robert