Re: test-installation.pl problem

At 09:16 AM 25/07/2000 +0200, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
>The default linker is specified in the spec file - see the FAQ for
>details.  Don't move ld-linux.so.1 away from /lib - binaries contain
>the complete path and will not run anymore if move it.

Okay, that worked like a charm! Thank you very much. So, now, maybe there
are steps that needs to be taken to prevent this in the future. Please try
to follow me, and corrent me if I'm wrong.

I was using various sources of information on how to compile glibc2. They
all pretty much said the same thing. What gets me is that, in all the
guides I read, updating the gcc specs was _always_ after running "make
install" and "ldconfig -v". Now maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I
needed to update the gcc specs _before_ running "make install" to get the
test program to compile and run with the proper linker. Doesn't that defeat
the purpose, seeing as how ld-2.1.3.so isn't even installed until you run
"make install"?

So there are really three methods to fix this:

1. "make install", with the failure, "ldconfig -v", then "make install"
again to prove that the test program will work.

2. Modify the gcc specs before running "make install" - this assumes that
the make install script does NOT compile anything at all before ld-2.1.3.so
is installed.

3. Remove the test program part from make install, and instruct the
installer to "make install", "ldconfig -v", modify the gcc specs, _then_
"make install_check" or something which compiles and runs the glibc test
program.

Feedback?

Austin
Austin Hung * University of Waterloo, 3N Computer Engineering
wizard_auz@engineer.com  *  http://ece.uwaterloo.ca/~a2hung/
"I Want To Believe"