threads/core

I have a program I have written that seems to be causing me a problem when
it seg faults.
I've programmed #defines around certain aspects that i want threaded.

If I compile this without the #defines the code i've written to thread
certain functions is excluded.
If the program seg faults, it dumps a core.

If i compile  this with the #defines, and include the threaded code, when
the program seg faults no core is dropped.
I can reproduce this on two different systems, one with is Suse based with
libc6, i think it's Suse 6.3
the other is Storm with glibc-2.0.7.

I would really appreciate any advice offered