RE: Error 127 in install of glibc 2.2.3

> > I made the symlinks you mentioned above which were missing from my
> > system and tried a reboot. No good. Same error. Are there other
> > symlinks which might not be present?
>
> Yes, though /sbin/init itself probably shouldn't depend on others (the
> "login" binary might). ldd shows the dependencies.  On my system:
>
> waverley:~$ ldd /sbin/init
>         libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x40026000)
>         /lib/ld-linux.so.2 => /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x40000000)

I get "ldd: file not found" - ldd isn't in tomsrtbt, which I'm using for
rescue, and I couldn't find it in my old /bin or /sbin either. Where might
it be?

> > Or is there a way to see which file init is looking for? Or a log
> > of the make install that will tell us when it collapsed?
>
> There won't be a log of the "make install" unless you created one
> (with "make install >install.log 2>&1" or similar).

Didn't think of that.

> You want to ensure that /sbin/ldconfig gets run early in the boot
> process.  You may be able to run it from a rescue diskette.  If
> your system is mounted on /mnt relative to the rescue ramdisk you
> could try:
>
> ldconfig -f /mnt/etc/ld.so.conf -C /mnt/etc/ld.so.cache -r /mnt

What is this for?

> One question occurs to me: What did you do with the glibc 2.2.3
> installation that you put under /usr/local?  I suppose it ought
> to be deleted entirely in case it interferes with the new
> installation under /usr.

I haven't done anything with it. What's the safest way to remove it?

> In case it's any use I'm appending a script to create the links in
> /lib for glibc-2.2.3

Thanks. I'll try that in a minute.

Nick