RE: Error 127 in install of glibc 2.2.3

On Mon, 30 Jul 2001, Kate Ahrens wrote:

> > waverley:~$ ldd /sbin/init
> >         libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x40026000)
> >         /lib/ld-linux.so.2 => /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x40000000)
> >

> I get "ldd: file not found" - ldd isn't in tomsrtbt, which I'm
> using for rescue, and I couldn't find it in my old /bin or /sbin
> either. Where might it be?

It's a shell script that lives in /usr/bin.  You're probably going to
have difficulty running it from a rescue diskette.

> > ldconfig -f /mnt/etc/ld.so.conf -C /mnt/etc/ld.so.cache -r /mnt
>
> What is this for?

>From man 8 ldconfig:

 ldconfig creates the necessary links and cache (for use by
 the  run-time  linker,  ld.so)  to  the most recent shared
 libraries found in the directories specified on  the  com-
 mand line, in the file /etc/ld.so.conf, and in the trusted
 directories (/usr/lib  and  /lib).

Actually, since ldconfig is a static binary you should be able to run
it off your hard disk, after mounting it:

/mnt/sbin/ldconfig -r /mnt

If the basic libraries are in place and not corrupted, running
ldconfig should bring the system back.

> > One question occurs to me: What did you do with the glibc 2.2.3
> > installation that you put under /usr/local?  I suppose it ought
> > to be deleted entirely in case it interferes with the new
> > installation under /usr.
>
> I haven't done anything with it. What's the safest way to remove it?

Hmm.  Not sure about that.  You can find a listing of the files
installed by glibc 2.2.3 at

ftp://ricardo.ecn.wfu.edu/pub/glibc-2.2.3/listing.txt

I'd say the most important candidates for deletion are the files in
lib and sbin (under /usr/local).  I'm not sure about the wisdom of the
recommendation to install glibc under /usr/local at first -- seems to
me there's too much potential for confusion and conflicts.  Some of
the glibc components have paths "hard-wired" into them at compile
time.  In fact it might help your system recovery if you were to make
sure /usr/local is not in your path at boot time, and /usr/local/lib
is not referenced in /etc/ld.so.conf (as a temporary measure).

Allin Cottrell.