RE: Error 127 in install of glibc 2.2.3

Some progress...

> > I get "ldd: file not found" - ldd isn't in tomsrtbt, which I'm
> > using for rescue, and I couldn't find it in my old /bin or /sbin
> > either. Where might it be?
>
> It's a shell script that lives in /usr/bin.  You're probably going to
> have difficulty running it from a rescue diskette.

Well, I found it. The only library reported as needed by /mnt/sbin/init was
ld-linux.so - which I've got in /mnt/lib, so that ought to be OK, oughtn't
it?

> > > ldconfig -f /mnt/etc/ld.so.conf -C /mnt/etc/ld.so.cache -r /mnt
> >
> > What is this for?
>
> From man 8 ldconfig:
>
>  ldconfig creates the necessary links and cache (for use by
>  the  run-time  linker,  ld.so)  to  the most recent shared
>  libraries found in the directories specified on  the  com-
>  mand line, in the file /etc/ld.so.conf, and in the trusted
>  directories (/usr/lib  and  /lib).
>
> Actually, since ldconfig is a static binary you should be able to run
> it off your hard disk, after mounting it:
>
> /mnt/sbin/ldconfig -r /mnt
>
> If the basic libraries are in place and not corrupted, running
> ldconfig should bring the system back.

Right. I found ldconfig. I ran it, and, once I'd worked out the right
combination between -r /mnt and the -f and -C switches, it ran OK. But I
think I have found the problem - the /mnt/etc/ld.so.conf file is dated 15
June, whereas the ld.so.cache file is dated 27 July (now 30 July since I've
run ldconfig again). So  the conf file is an old one - based on a previous
library?

So...  can I reconstitute an ld.so.conf file for the 2.2.3 installation?

If not, can I re-run the install process somehow - given that I'm using the
rescue diskette I can't simply repeat the make install, I know - and see
whether it creates a ld.so.conf file?

Nick