Re: POSX clocks & timers question

george anzinger <george@mvista.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am working on an enhancement to linux to add high resolution timers to
> the kernel.  When this work gets accepted into the kernel, it will
> define several new system calls:
>
> clock_gettime
> clock_settime
> clock_getres
> clock_nanosleep
>
> timer_settime
> timer_gettime
> timer_getoverrun
> timer_create
> timer_delete
>
> Currently these functions are in glibc (in libpthread and else where).

All of them are in librt in glibc 2.2.5:
$ nm /lib/librt.so.1 |grep clock_
00003ee4 T clock_getcpuclockid
00003f34 T clock_getres
00003fa4 T clock_gettime
000040a4 T clock_nanosleep
00004014 T clock_settime
gromit:~:[0]$ nm /lib/libpthread.so.0 |grep clock_
gromit:~:[1]$ nm /lib/libpthread.so.0 |grep timer_

> Some vendors put them in librt.  The question I need to resolve is just
> where these should be.  It seems that they are in libpthread only

In librt where *everybody* including glibc puts them.

> because they currently depend on the pthread functions, but, as
> indicated above, they will be system calls and will not depend on any
> other functions.
>
> Comments?

For more questions on the main glibc list, for details
http://sources.redhat.com/glibc.  This list is for users of glibc and
not read by most of the glibc developers.

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger
  SuSE Labs aj@suse.de