Re: complex number API

    Gerard> I would like to add another form as well, of the suggested
    Gerard> 'return z' type, since that looks like it would be nicer
    Gerard> to type.  I'm thinking something contructor-like

    Gerard> GSL_COMPLEX(x,y)

    Gerard> which could be used like

    Gerard> gsl_complex foo_z = GSL_COMPLEX(x,y);

    Gerard> Trivial as an inline function, but is it possible to do as
    Gerard> a macro too?

I would also like such a function, but I can't figure out how to do it
with a macro.  James's cute trick of using the do { stuff } while(0)
won't work if you have to return a value.  You do need a block to
allocate a variable for the result, but I don't know how to return
something.

James, do you have any cute tricks?

Maybe we could go with an autoconf/ifdef-ed use of GCC's inline
functions across module boundaries, but they are a bit annoying.